History

Schjødt can look back on a long and proud heritage, characterized by fascinating and talented individuals, ground-breaking proceedings and innovative cross border transactions for some of the most prestigious Norwegian and international corporations and financial institutions. These events, personalities, clients and assignments have, together, formed our culture; a platform of strong ethics and individual integrity, combined with a practical and client-oriented attitude, making us a firm our clients can depend on to achieve results.

The early days

The firm carries the name of Annæus Schjødt (1888-1972), who in 1920 was admitted as a partner in the firm of Supreme Court attorney Johan Bredal which had been established in Christiania (now Oslo) in 1894. Annæus Schjødt left the firm in 1936 to establish his own law firm. He was one of the key pre- and post-war attorneys and had a number of ground-breaking cases before the Norwegian courts, inter alia, in connection with the post World War II judicial settlements (including by acting as government appointed prosecutor in the trial against Quisling). Later Annæus Schjødt jr. (1920) joined the firm, which during the 1950s and '60s developed to be one of the leading law firms in the country, renowned for their leading position in litigation.

Another protegy of Johan Bredal was Herman Christiansen (1878-1950) who was admitted as a partner in 1911 but who left in 1920 to start his own law firm, in the same year that Annæus Schjødt joined the firm. Herman Christiansen was one of the great industry lawyers of his time and his firm represented large American corporations that participated in the industrialization of Norway. Later, his son, Erling Christiansen (1920-1982) joined the firm, building further on their reputation as a commercial law firm with extensive cross-border work for foreign clients.

Expansions

A decisive step in the firm's development was the merger between the dispute resolution focused Schjødt firm and the commercial law based Christiansen firm. This happened in 1968 and the firm took the name Supreme Court Attorneys Schjødt, Dahl-Hansen, Christiansen and Schjødt. Later the name was changed several times in connection with partner admissions and expansions. During the 1970s and '80s the firm's commercial law portfolio became more prominent, including significant transaction work, thereby creating the basis for today's excellent balance between corporate advisory, transactions and dispute resloution. New partners were admitted in these years and in 1983 it was decided that the firm's name be changed to Schjødt. In 1989 a cooperation with Martens Law Firm in Bergen was started. This was a law firm with long traditions in the west coast region, with Bergen renowned for shipping, European trade and a strong financial industry. Later the firm was further expanded with offices both in Stavanger and Ålesund in 1999 and 2000 respectively. While Stavanger is the centre of the Norwegian oil & gas industry, Ålesund is an important centre for Norwegian fish farming and fishing, in addition to maritime and petroleum-related technology.

Today

Today, Schjødt is one of Norway's largest, and fastest growing top tier commercial law firms, working closely with clients and other law firms globally. We are proud of our history and the cultural heritage it provides for our firm and for our employees.