Fisheries & Aquaculture
Fisheries and aquaculture is Norway's second largest export industry and contributes to significant business along the entire coast of Norway. Schjødt has for many years assisted the players in the industry. Our assistance includes a wide range of services, including industry-specific advice, purchase and sale of businesses and dispute resolution.
Fisheries and aquaculture is one of the most regulated sectors in Norway. The industry is largely subject to licensing, and the companies must adhere to comprehensive and often complex statutory regulations. Specialist expertise related to regulatory issues, such as the quota system, allocation criteria and licensing, is therefore essential in order to provide the best possible advice. In Schjødt we are in regular contact with the industry and the fisheries authorities, so that we are always up to date on the operational and legal challenges facing our clients. Our lawyers will at all times be updated on the industry's frequent changing conditions.
Schjødt has released a commentary textbook to the Norwegian Aquaculture Act.
Purchase and sale of businesses
In recent years, Schjødt has assisted in connection with more transactions than any other Norwegian law firm. Besides being among the leading Norwegian law firms within transactional assistance in general, we are also frequently involved in transactions specifically related to fisheries and aquaculture. Our specialist expertise on the legal framework that the businesses are subject to, represent a competitive advantage when we provide assistance in connection with the purchase and sale of businesses in this industry. Schjødt provides assistance to a significant extent to companies, financial institutions and investors in connection with financing, refinancing and restructuring of companies in the fisheries and aquaculture industry.
Schjødt has one of the strongest teams within the field of dispute resolution in Norway, with a unique track record over many years. The best expertise is achieved through specialisation. As the first of the largest law firms, we have gathered our expertise within litigation and dispute resolution in a separate department. Several of the lawyers in the dispute department have in-depth industry knowledge within fisheries and aquaculture, and are also dedicated members of our working group on fisheries and aquaculture.
Our services include
- Applications for licenses and other governmental approvals, such as aquaculture licenses, industry permits, special permits, participation access and quotas
- Assistance in matters concerning sanctions in relation to violation of fisheries and aquaculture legislation, including fines, violation fines and confiscation
- Assistance in connection with preparation of consultation papers
- Establishment of optimal corporate structures, inter alia in light of the fisheries legislation's requirements for activity requirements and national ownership
- Environmental issues
- Technology protection
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts, inter alia in connection with purchase of new net cages, new vessels and other equipment
- Assistance in connection with purchase and sale of companies
- Financing solutions
- Tax law advice
- Competition law and EU law assistance
- Assistance in connection with disputes