Schjødt is one of Norway´s leading law firms in insurance related matters and advises international and domestic life- and non-life insurers, reinsurers, pension funds, insurance intermediaries and policyholders. The team advises on all life- and non-life insurance products and also acts as trusted advisors to the management of insurance companies in relation to commercial aspects. The team is also specialised in insurance related claims handling and disputes. We assist insurers, pension funds, insurance intermediaries and commercial policyholders with coverage opinions, negotiations and disputes involving all major forms of insurance products such as D&O liability, P&I, financial lines, marine and transportation, product liability and general liability. Our lawyers are also experienced in disputes related to life insurance and insurance based investment products and have represented several domestic and international life insurers in such disputes.
Our insurance team consists of lawyers with in-depth experience in insurance and financial regulatory matters, tax and charges related to insurance products and insurance activities. In addition to having exhaustive experience as commercial advisors several members of the team have experience as members of board of directors of insurance companies and other companies in the financial sector, as well as chairmen of control committees. Some team members have experience from the financial regulatory authorities as well. For many years our lawyers have been ranked among Norway's leading lawyers within financial regulatory, insurance and pensions, including by Legal 500, IFLR 1000, PLC Which Lawyer and in the Norwegian Financial Daily's lawyers survey.
We have authored a number of books and articles within the fields of expertise. Several books have been authored in co-operation with the Norwegian Institute of Public Accountants and the Norwegian Actuarial Association. Our books and articles are frequently referred to in judgments, preparatory works of laws and regulations and by other authors of legal literature.
Our services include
- Establishment, conversion, de-merger, closure and run-off of insurance companies, captives and pension funds, M&A, portfolio restructuring and portfolio transfers, transfers and restructurings of insurance companies and pension funds
- Establishment of insurance business in Norway on a permanent establishment or freedom of services basis
- Product development, policy drafting, product documentation, drafting of PID, PRIIPs, POG-requirements, internal routines and guidelines
- Advising on compliance issues, including consumer protection, corporate governance matters, damage control and cleaning up
- Tax advise relating to product development, ongoing business activities, M&As, restructuring and closure of business in Norway, etc.
- Advising on closure of business in Norway, including run-off of portfolios, portfolio restructuring and M&As
- Claims handling and disputes related to life- and non-life insurance, including advising on coverage options, third party liabilities and subrogation of claims
- Establishment of optimal corporate structures, inter alia in light of the fisheries legislation's requirements for activity requirements and national ownership