Schjødt is one of Scandinavia´s leading law firms in insurance related matters and our team has extensive experience working with insurance and insurance related companies. The team continuously assists international and domestic life- and non-life insurers, reinsurers, pension funds, insurance intermediaries and policyholders. The team advises on all insurance related matters, such as regulatory and compliance, cross-border operations, life- and non-life insurance products, distribution and marketing. Our team also acts as trusted advisors in relation to commercial aspects. In addition, our team is also specialised in insurance related claims handling and disputes. The team assist insurers, reinsurers, pension funds, insurance intermediaries and commercial policyholders with coverage opinions, negotiations and disputes involving all major forms of insurance products such as D&O liability, P&I, financial lines, marine and transportation, product liability and general liability. Our team is also experienced in disputes related to life insurance and insurance based investment products and have represented several domestic and international life insurers in such disputes.
Our insurance team consists of lawyers with in-depth experience in insurance and financial regulatory matters, tax and charges related to insurance products and insurance activities. In addition to having exhaustive experience as regulatory and commercial advisors several members of the team have experience as in house lawyers and members of board of directors of insurance companies and other companies in the financial sector, as well as chairmen of control committees. Some team members have experience from the financial regulatory authorities as well. This enables our team to deliver effective, appropriate and custom made advice in a complex regulatory environment. Our group strives to work cost-efficient and solution oriented in order to maximize the business benefit for our clients in each assignment. For many years our lawyers have been ranked among Norway's and Sweden's leading lawyers within insurance and financial regulatory, and pensions, including by Legal 500, Chambers and Partners, IFLR 1000, PLC Which Lawyer and in the Norwegian Financial Daily's lawyers survey.
We have authored a number of books and articles within the fields of expertise. Several books have been authored in co-operation with experts, for example the Norwegian Institute of Public Accountants and the Norwegian Actuarial Association. Our books and articles are frequently referred to in judgments, preparatory works of laws and regulations and by other authors of legal literature.
Our services include
- Establishment, acquisition of, restructuring and liquidation of insurance businesses
- License applications and supervisory issues
- Merger, de-merger, conversion closure and run-off of insurance companies, captives and pension funds
- Portfolio restructuring and portfolio transfers
- Establishment of cross-border operation through permanent establishments or freedom of services
- Product development, policy drafting, product documentation, drafting of PID, PRIIPs, POG-requirements, internal routines and guidelines
- Advising on compliance issues, including consumer protection, anti-money laundering, corporate governance matters, damage control and cleaning up
- Advising on insurance distribution and marketing issues
- Tax advise relating to product development, ongoing business activities, M&As, restructuring and closure of business in Norway and Sweden, etc.
- Claims handling and disputes related to life- and non-life insurance, including advising on coverage options, third party liabilities and subrogation of claims
- Corporate governance issues and establishment of appropriate corporate governance structures