Shipping & Oil Services
Our sector lawyers provide legal advice across the maritime value chain and are a trusted advisor to multinational and domestic companies, owners, yards and financial institutions in all aspects of their business. Together with our clients, we closely monitor and adopt to the industrial and financial fluctuations and trends that affects and defines this industry. Our clients trust are built on our team's profound dedication, in-debt industry knowledge and ability to provide innovative solutions and clear advise in an ever-changing industry. As a top tier firm with offices in Stavanger, Ålesund, Bergen, Oslo, London and Stockholm we remain uniquely positioned to service both international and domestic clients.
- Finance: Leading asset finance practice and advise on high-value, complex transactions, often with cross-border dimensions.
- Shipbuilding: Draft and advise on terms and conditions of shipbuilding contracts and ship design contracts and, and assist our clients (owners, shipyards and ship designers) in conducting the commercial negotiations pertaining to these contracts. Advise on the pre- and post-delivery financing of all types of ships and offshore structures. Negotiating and drafting the financing documents as well as carrying out all necessary legal due diligence in respect of the relevant shipbuilding contract and refund guarantees. Act in disputes in courts and arbitrations concerning shipbuilding, ship design, ship conversion, and FPSOs and offshore platforms.
- Oil Service: Our team offers expertise in all areas of law and regulatory matters affecting the spectrum of companies in the oil service value chain. We offer a comprehensive service and advise our clients on corporate strategic matters, all types of industry specific agreements and contracts, operations, sales, financing and M&A.
- Admiralty: Handling emergencies, including maritime collisions, salvage, maritime disasters and all other international incidents. Experienced in advising on such disasters, preservation of evidence, personal injury assistance, salvage and damage limitation.
- Mergers and acquisitions: All aspects of M & A, from the contractual arrangements and regulatory clearances to tax and financing.
- Commercial: Advising on shipbuilding, all forms of shipping contracts, charter parties, pool agreements and bills of lading. Experienced in the sale and purchase of every type of commercial ship, and advise on structuring, incorporation, taxation, insurance, flagging and crewing.
When guarantees are issued as security for a party's obligations under a commercial contract, it is essential to know the nature of the guarantee, and when the guarantee obligations are triggered. Under English law there can be a very fine distinction between an "on demand guarantee" (under which the guarantee liability is triggered simply by a demand) and a "see to it guarantee" (under which the guarantee liability is secondary to the obligations in the underlying contract). Needless to say, such legal distinction may have significant commercial implications.
Our partner Helle Kjærstad sheds some light on these issues in her analysis of the English Commercial Court judgment: Shanghai Shipyard vs Reignwood International.
Our services include
- Charter parties and other charter agreements on ships
- Newbuilding contracts, conversion contracts and other modification contracts
- Purchase and sale
- Sale & leaseback transactions
- Management agreements
- Agency agreements
- Brokerage agreements
- Ownership and operational structures
- Joint ventures, consortium, pool agreements and other cooperation agreements
- Marine casualty
- FPSO and FSRU projects and tenders for other LNG, offshore and oilfield services units- from ITT to final contract
- Drilling contracts
- EPC – contracts and other construction contracts
- Offshore supply/oil services contracts