Amund Bjøranger TørumPartner, Dr. juris, Oslo Download vCard
Amund primarily works with dispute resolution, arbitration and projects, often in an international context. He has extensive experience from international arbitration (ad hoc, ICC, SCC and UNCITRAL), and he has been lead counsel in a number of high profile cases regarding i.a. offshore disputes, Joint Ventures and license groups on the Norwegian/UK Continental Shelf. He is also frequently representing clients in cross-border litigation related to i.a. the Lugano Convention. Amund is widely ranked as a leading lawyer within these disciplines, i.a. by Legal500, Chambers, Best Lawyers and Finansavisen. Amund was admitted to the Supreme Court of Norway in 2017.
Amund's work regards several industries with a particular focus on Oil & Gas, Offshore, Shipping and Infrastructure. Typical instructions are related to projects, joint ventures/consortiums, petroleum law, oil service (offshore development projects, FPSOs, FSOs, drilling contracts, rig consortiums, subsea and decommissioning) and shipbuilding. Amund is also working with onshore construction and PPP-projects, and he also has more general experience with litigation and arbitration, i.a. disputes related to acquisitions and transactions.
Amund is dr. juris on a thesis on contract law, co-author of the standard textbook on Norwegian petroleum law and he has a number of publications in contract law and construction law. He was chartered international arbitrator in 2011.
Amund has been associate professor at the Faculty of Law (University of Bergen) where he was responsible for offshore contracts, construction law, international contract law and arbitration law. Whilst being an associate professor, Amund participated in the Study Group on an European Civil Code ("SGEC"), the project which prepared the Draft Common Frame of Reference ("DCFR") on European private law.
Amund has formerly also been working as a lawyer in Talisman Energy and as a partner in Kvale. Currently he participates in a Nordic Restatement of Contract Law.
Amund is a member of the Norwegian Bar Association's specialist committee on transportation and maritime law, aviation and other transportation law, including marine insurance.
Amund can speak fluent German.
Chambers and Partners:
Dispute Resolution: "Amund Bjøranger Tørum has impressive expertise in offshore construction litigation. "I am confident I am getting the absolute best legal advice when I speak to him," enthuses one client."
Oil & Gas: "Practice head Amund Bjøranger Tørum moves up the rankings thanks to enthusiastic client feedback. They say: "You can rely on getting a thorough answer which you can trust".
Oil & Gas: "Practice head Amund Bjøranger Tørum is widely respected as an authority on oil and gas regulatory issues. His practice encompasses drilling contracts, offshore construction and litigation. He is frequently appointed as an arbitrator."
"The offshore construction practice, headed by the ‘extremely skilled’ and ‘strategically minded’ Amund Bjøranger Tørum, is ‘excellent on all levels’
Voted Norwegian 'Lawyer of the Year - Oil & Gas' 2016 by peers
- Dispute resolution; litigation and domestic and international arbitration, particularly in major offshore and onshore construction projects, oil service, petroleum law, shipbuilding and transactions
- Drafting and negotiations within oil & gas and oil service; complex EPC-Contracts and Joint Ventures, including structuring lease concepts for FPSOs and FSOs
- Project advice and risk management in major offshore construction projects, EPC-contracts, construction and lease of FPSO's, Drilling Contracts and Subsea Contracts
- International Joint Ventures
- Regulatory petroleum law, Joint Operating Agreements, tie-in agreements and Unit Agreements
- Transactions and farm-outs in the oil & gas industry
- Insurance; shipping, offshore construction etc.
- Shipbuilding, Conversion and Design Contracts
- Infrastructure projects/PPI and PFI projects, including project advice, dispute resolution, consortiums and financial aspects
- Renewable energy, including project advice and dispute resolution in offshore wind farms projects
- Bankruptcy law and securities
- Interpretation of Commercial Contracts, Universitetsforlaget 2019
- Best practice in Norwegian and Nordic arbitration and NOMA´s Guidelines, published in Festschrift to Mads Bryde Andersen (Copenhagen, 2018)
- Offshore contracts — the effect of the "system" of the contract and the background law in the interpretation process, JV 2018, p. 163-190
- Norwegian ad hoc arbitration in transition, Tidsskrift for forretningsjus 02 / 2017
- When may an arbitration agreement be invoked by or against a third party? Paper presented on the International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators (ICMA XX), Copenhagen (2017)
- Should the Civil Procedure Act to a larger extent facilitate large and complex commercial disputes? Together with Ingvald Falch, published in LoR 2015 No. 5
- The Exceptions in CISG Article 2 (e)for ‘Ships’ and ‘Vessels’ – Particularly on Sales of Offshore Units and Construction of Shipsand Offshore Units, Published in Tribute Book to Joseph Lookofsky (Copenhagen 2015)
- The modified disclosure and discovery regime under the Norwegian Procedure Act, Norwegian Business Law Review (2015)
- When may an arbitration clause be invoked by or towards a third party? Published in the antology Arbitration in Practice (2015)
- Additional payment based on "hardship" in "construction sales contracts" (EPC-contracts) governed by CISG? The article is published in The CISG Convention and Domestic Contract Law (edited by Mads Bryde Andersen and Joseph Lookofsky, Copenhagen (2014)
- Comments in Rettsdata to the Civil Procedure Act chapter 2 and 9 (2014)
- "Comparison of offshore and onshore construction contracts, Norwegian Business Law Review 2010
- "Incorporation of Arbitration Clauses:Norwegian Law Perspective," PLC Multi-jurisdictional Guide to Arbitration (2010)
- Co-author of standard Norwegian textbook on Petroleum Law (Petroleumsloven med kommentarer) (2009)
- Principles of European Law - Lease of Goods (co-author), European law publishers (2007)
- The venue for direct action in the Lugano Convention, Festkrift to Helge Johan Thue (2007)
- Direct Action in Sales and Construction Contracts (doctoral thesis), Universitetsforlaget (2007)
- Specification of the defect as a requirement for interruption of time-bar – illustrated by "symptoms" regarding ship building contracts and EPC Contracts, Norwegian Business Law Review (2007)
- The Nordic Law of Obligations and its impact on Norwegian contract law, Tidsskrift for Rettsvitenskap (2006)
- Product liability in the clothes of sales law, Tidsskrift for Rettsvitenskap (2006)
- Back-to-back in PFI projects, Lov og Rett (2005)
- Comments in Rettsdata to Norske Lov (invalidity etc.)
- Consistency in private law, Jussens Venner (2001)
- Privity of contract, Lov og Rett (2001)