Halvor ManshausPartner, Oslo Download CV Download vCard
Admitted to the Supreme Court of Norway and sitting as an arbitrator for WIPO in UDRP cases, Halvor has a practice focusing on litigation and strategic counseling to clients, and has extensive experience representing international clients in cross-border cases.
He is the head of our IP-practice, and leads our Dispute Resolution department.
Halvor has a diversified practice, as demonstrated in his being acknowledged and ranked in Dispute Resolution, IP and TMT in various publications. Halvor was lead counsel in the "DVD-case", a globally significant case within technology & copyright.
Halvor also holds a number of presentations and lectures, while also publishing articles within his key areas on a regular basis.
We receive a number of questions related to Halvors' work on the DVD-case, which made international headlines. Information about that case can be found here.
Some news articles: BBC, CBS, Time Magazine, CNN
well-renowned academic and practitioner", "extreme breadth of experience" and "he is very sharp and has a great ability to provide IP advice in a practical way Chambers and Partners
- Admitted to the Supreme Court
- WIPO appointed arbitrator in a series of UDRP-cases
- JUS.no expert committee Dispute Resulotion
- Author of commentary edition for Trademark and Design Acts
- Author of several books and 50+ articles
Leading Individual - Chambers and Partners Global and Europe
Legal 500: Hall of fame – leading individual. Tier 1 Ranked in three legal disciplines: IP (Intellectual Property), Dispute Resolution and TMT
Chambers IP Europe/Global: Tier 1, "very capable Halvor Manshaus is applauded for his litigation expertise." "Halvor Manshaus heads the practice and is also part of the litigation team. "He is everything that I look for in a lawyer. He connects the legal and business perspectives in a seamless way and understands both perfectly" enthuses a client."
IAM Patent and Technology Licensing, also transactional work: Tier 1 Lawyer "With Halvor Manshaus on deck, Schjødt is always going to be on the list for commercially consequential pieces of IP litigation. “Halvor is extremely clever, experienced and skilled and one of the most frequently deployed litigators in Norway.”
WTR 1000 (World Trademark Review): Manshaus comes highly recommended for his adept handling of complex cross-border IP disputes and his general knowledge and experience of intellectual property. He is described as "a hugely skilled litigator" by peers, and his team is noted for its significant firepower in the areas of parallel imports, anti-counterfeiting and civil infringement.
MIP (IP): Leading. Tier 1 Lawyers. Included as "IP Star" "Each of the top firms has found an edge in one particular area and Schjødt's edge is the experience of its IP litigation team as a unit and the reputation of head IP lawyer Halvor Manshaus. "Manshaus is the hands-down best lawyer I have worked with," says one client, "he is truly unique in his ability to understand the big picture, including everything from high-level business strategy and tactics to technological details that may be relevant to the case."
1997 - 1997
Cand. philol., Dep. Of Cultural Studies, University of Oslo
1994 - 1997
Can. Jur. (Law degree). Dissertation on "Gambling on the Internet"
"Ord om AdWords", Lov & Data
"Regulering av tilgang til tjenester – Telenor vs. rettighetshavere", Lov & Data
"Jailbreaking og annen omgåelse av digital rettighetsadministrasjon (DRM)"
"Renessansen som unnfanget Corpus Iuris Civilis", CompLex 142 pages
"Ytringsfrihet: Redaktøransvar på Internett", Tidsskrift for forretningsjus (TiF 2/2005) pages 260-280
"Advokaters ytringsrett- og plikt", Advokatbladet 4/2005
"Det internasjonale aspektet ved DVD-saken", Advokatbladet
"Pengespill på Internett - en oversikt", Jussens venner, pages 164-168
"Private pengespill på Internett", CompLex 110 pages
Halvor is a certified apiculturist, and runs several beehives in Oslo - with more than 100.000 bees altogether. He also has an interest in Roman History, and has written a book on this subject.
- ExxonMobil:Contract dispute. "Balder-case" 20 month oral hearing. Largest court case in Norway
- Daimler:Trade secrets/Patents. Successful case centering on claim for 1,4 Billion Euro
- GE:Construction and Hydropower, arbitration cases
- Weatherford:Patent litigation
- BMW:Trade secrets/Patents. Successful case concerning 2,3 Billion Euro claim
- Elopak:Patent litigations, Marketing regulations
- FMC:Patent litigation
- Procter & Gamble:Marketing regulations, cases before NKU
- Conoco Phillips:Patent litigation
- Cermaq:Patent litigation
- Swix:Patent litigation
- Rottefella:Patent litigation
- Andritz:Trade secrets, Patent litigation.
- Various media entities (VG, Aftenposten, Schibsted, Finn):Media, litigation
- Various IT-companies:IT-disputes, litigation, strategy
- Various pharmaceutical brands:Patent litigation, injunctions, cross-border disputes