Olav KolstadPartner, Dr. juris Download vCard
Practice Leader, EU & Competition
Olav joined Schjødt as a Partner 2012 and his practice focuses on competition law, EU/EEA law and Oil & Gas regulation.
Olav holds an MA in jurisprudence and a Ph.D. in law from the University of Oslo, his doctoral thesis was on competition law and economics and during this period he was research fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Intellectual Property and Competition Law in Munich. He held a professorship at the University of Oslo until 2011 and before joining Schjødt he worked both in industry, within the legal department of Norsk Hydro (1998-2001), and in private practice, as a Partner in Kvale (2009-2012).
Olav is a co-editor and author of Norsk Konkurranserett Bind 1 og 2, the leading textbook on Norwegian Competition law, and has published a broad array of articles within the field of competition law and EU/EEA law. He has a wealth of experience in advising clients on the antitrust aspects of their commercial behavior and structuring agreements in compliance with competition law imperatives. Beyond the realm of pure competition issues, Olav also possess a significant understanding of the Oil & Gas industry's regulatory framework; to this end he assists clients operating on the Norwegian continental shelf in issues covering the full scope of petroleum and gas extraction and distribution. Moreover, as a result of the amalgamation of his practice areas with his specific industry knowledge, Olav is uniquely adept in dealing with the competition aspects of the often intricate Oil & Gas production and services markets.
Olav has gained a deep understanding of the workings of the main regulatory instances that oversea the enforcement of competition law and has represented clients in proceedings before the Norwegian Competition Authority, the EFTA Surveillance Authority and the European Commission. Within the context of transactions or investigations spanning several jurisdictions, Olav has also worked with local counsel in several countries - both in Europe and further afield - in resolving issues before the competent national competition and regulatory authorities.
Olav is currently a member of the Norwegian Law Reform Commission for the review of unfair commercial practices within the grocery retailing sector.
In light of his singular combination of academia and industry experience, as well as his ability to handle difficult and convoluted cases, Olav is regularly regarded by his peers as one of the leading practitioners of competition and EU/EEA law in Norway and ranks highly in both the Legal 500 and Chambers rankings.
Olav speaks fluent German.
- Advising on issues linked to the prohibition of anti-competitive agreements and abuse of a dominant market position.
- Notification of relevant mergers and control-acquiring transactions to Norwegian and European competition authorities.
- Interpretation and application of the EEA Agreement's provisions on the free movement of capital, services and goods as well as freedom of establishment matters.
- State Aid counseling - both public and private entities.
- Regulation of activities within and ancillary to Oil & Gas exploration and provision.
- 'Gruppefritaket for avtaler mellom linjerederier I EF's konkurranserett' (trans: the block exemption for liner shipping agreements under ec competition law), in LO Askheim (ed),Skipsfart og Samarbeid(trans: Shipping and Cooperation) (Sjørettsfondet: Oslo, 1991).
- 'Samhandelskriteriet i EØS-avtalens artikkel 53 og 54' (trans: joint purchasing criteria under the EEA Agreement's article 53 and 54)  Lov og Rett Journal 407.
- Fra Konkurransepolitikk til konkurranserett(trans: From Competition Policy to Competition Law), (Cappelen Akademisk Forlag: Oslo, 1998).
- 'Konkurranselovens konkurransebegrensningskriterium' (trans: the [Norwegian] Competition Law's criteria for the restriction of competition)  Tidsskrift for forretningsjus 80.
- 'Kontraktsrett I - Forelesnings over kjøp - Forelesningsmateriale' (trans: Contract Law I - Lectures on Sales - Lecture Materials)  Institut for privattretts stensilserie B 26.
- 'Konkurranselovens forbud mot pris-, og anbuds- og markedsdelingsamarbeid (trans: the [Norwegian] Competition Law's prohbition against price, procurement and market allocation cooperation)  Jussens Venner 1.
- 'Oppgjør etter heving i forbrukerkjøp Rt. 2002 s. 173' (trans: Settlement pursuant to the recission of consumer contract in [Norwegian Supreme Court judgment] Rt. 2002 s.173) (2002) 2 nytt i privatretten 4.
- Olav Kolstad and Helge Stemshaug, 'Assessing Network Effects of Exclusive Purchasing Agreements under Article 53(1) EEA'  2 European Law Reporter 52.
- F Sejerstad, O Kolstad, F Arnesen, OA Rognstad, S Foyn (eds),EØS-rett(trans: EEA Law) (2nd edn, Universitets forlaget 2004).
- 'EØS-rettslig vurdering av hjemfallsinstituttett' (trans: EEA law assessment of the system of reversion [for public concessions]) Norwegian Public Inquiry 2004:26, pp. 209-253.
- 'Konkurranseloven som virkemiddel till å fremme "forbrukernes interesser" (trans: competition law as a means to enhance the "interests of consumers")  Tidsskrift for Rettsvitenskap 1.
- 'Pristiltaksloven' (trans: the Price regulation Law)  Norsk Lovkommentar 2326.