Schjødt expands to Sweden
Schjødt and Hamilton merge to become the first top level Norwegian-Swedish cross border law firm.
Schjødt and Hamilton are pleased to announce the combination of the two leading law firms, creating one of the largest firms in the Nordics and the first premier Norwegian-Swedish law firm.
Through the merger with Hamilton, Schjødt’s market leading and internationally recognised legal business practice is being expanded to Sweden. Hamilton’s quality and breadth of practice is widely recognised, most recently in Sweden’s largest client survey announced in Q1 2019, where Hamilton was awarded the Swedish Law Firm of the Year Award (Large Firms), as well as the recipient of the Client Satisfaction Award.
Hamilton is an ideal fit for Schjødt’s business model that has consistently generated strong growth in our top tier legal practice in Norway. By joining forces with Hamilton’s team in Stockholm, Schjødt will become the first top level Norwegian-Swedish cross border law firm, offering seamless high-end legal services for companies doing business in these two closely connected markets.
"This is a cornerstone event in Schjødt’s history. A cross-border combination into Sweden is a natural next step in the development for Schjødt. We strongly believe our clients and international partners will benefit from the improved and expanded offering. We are also confident in our business model and the potential created by bringing our values and business practices to the Swedish market."
- Olav Kolstad, Partner and Chairman of the Board, Schjødt
The combined firm will fully integrate and benefit from the qualities of both Hamilton and Schjødt, and will operate in accordance with the values, business practice and management model that have enabled Schjødt to develop and succeed in Norway. We strive at all times to be hard working, responsive, devoted to our client’s goals and interests, offering the best qualified lawyers, and focusing on creating value for our clients.
”Joining Schjødt has a tremendous industry logic and will accelerate the achievement of our goal to become the premier legal advisor in the Swedish market. Schjødt’s values and business practices have a proven track record of success and we strongly believe that the time is ripe for Nordic consolidation.”
- Thomas Nygren, Partner and Chairman of the Board, Hamilton
About Schjødt and Hamilton:
- Schjødt is a premier Norwegian full service business law firm with 180 lawyers in Oslo, Stavanger, Ålesund, Bergen and London.
- With 65 lawyers in its Stockholm office, Hamilton is one of the leading law firms in the Swedish market.
- Schjødt is top rated in all main categories by the recognised agencies, including Chambers and Legal 500. All of Hamilton’s practice areas are also ranked, and Hamilton has one of the highest proportions of ranked partners in Sweden.
- Hamilton was acclaimed in Sweden as the Law firm of the year in 2018 and also received the prestigious Client Satisfaction Award (Source: Regi Research & Strategy).
- Our joint M&A team will be a Nordic market leader, having registered around 85 significant transactions so far in 2019, with a combined public value of approximately EUR 12 billion (Source: Mergermarket).
- The combined firm will operate under the name of Schjødt and function as one unit from 1 January 2020, as the only high-end provider covering the Norway/Sweden cross-border market.
Download the press release here (PDF).